Honestly, I’ve often struggled with self imposed deadlines. When there isn’t a kick in the backside looming or somebody else waiting, I find it difficult to motivate myself. Perhaps that’s because I haven’t made writing a priority in years.
I want to make writing a priority again. Here’s hoping some public accountability will get things moving. First, a few writing goals for the rest of 2019:
- First draft of 2 short stories for ZNB anthologies, Apocalyptic and Batteries by end of September 30, 2019.
- Revise two short stories and submit to fellow writers for critique by October 31, 2019.
- Read Song of Fury by end of November 30, 2019
- Finish revising 2 stories and submit by December 31, 2019
- Revise Song of Fury by March 1st, 2020 so I can start subbing it to agents
- Write 2 poems a week for the Knight Hunt Wars collection.
- Continue to post romantic poems on IG to keep followers engaged and build following. Mix in some adventure poems, perhaps gaming sagas.
To do this, I’ll need to cut back on gaming and TV. I will have to schedule writing Tuesday and Thursdays before work or after work, plus 3 hours of writing each Saturday and Sunday am. These need to be scheduled and sacred. If I can build my writing stamina and get more out of the weekends, great, though that may take some time. If I can add in Wednesday mornings, even better.
Limiting distractions will be key. If I need to leave my phone in another room, I’ll have to do it. Maybe a month or two off social media will help. Disable Facebook or regular IG? Let’s see if I can be disciplined first, but if I can’t… DJF